Thursday, July 22, 2010

Treasures from Day One..the Journey to TJED Land

So much has happened since our trip to St. George. Family reunions...scout camp for my son this week...Young Women camp for my daughter last week...visits with other cousins...Independence Day...lots of reading on my part of Democracy in America and other books about U.S. history and running through our lovely wooded park. We also had a fun picnic yesterday at the park with Grandma, an aunt,and cousins and got caught in a freak hailstorm. That's July weather in Utah for you! What a full and lovely summer! I was also violently ill last week and had my share of messes of other violently ill family members to clean up, plus I've had some disappointments, but I won't dwell on those.

But the best news of scholar phase son is now an Eagle Scout! The Eagle Court of Honor is coming soon. I am so pleased that he is done! The best part of it is that I haven't had to lift a finger doing all of this, well, besides have mentor meetings to encourage him. You know how some 12 year old boys get their Eagle rank? Well, I am willing to bet my house that there is someone named mother behind the scenes doing a lot of the phone calling and planning for the Eagle project. You can also bet the mother doesn't have a ton of little children younger than the Eagle boy. My son has really earned this rank, not me, so we are all dancing a jig.

I am really excited to read my new Leslie Householder book and apply the teachings of the laws of thought on a more consistent basis. We planted a garden this year and it is fun to see the plants getting taller and taller. When I read Leslie's writings, I feel this peace come over me. I think it's because these teachings remind me that success is like planting a garden. The success of my garden growing is up to me (and God). It's up to me putting the seeds in the ground, and giving the seeds water and sunlight. The success is up to no one else. If I pick things that will grow, like seeds, they will grow, if I follow the laws that cause growth. Success is not impossible, like changing a rhinoceros into a pile of diamonds.

Sure, there can be things out of my control to defeat my garden, like bugs and storms. But if I am in touch with my garden often, I can see the signs of bugs and do something to fight them off. I can see the signs of a storm approaching and do what I can to protect it. There might be times when I can't save the whole garden from a storm that ruins it all, but that's pretty rare. I remember hearing Vernie DeMille say that one year she and her husband lost their whole huge garden to a hailstorm in Missouri. They cried and then they got to work and planted a new one. So in the end if my success is defeated by something out of my control, I would cry, then get to work and start over, trusting that God, for whatever reason, wants me to receive some blessing from starting over.

So back to blogging about my trip. We left for St. George on a Sunday morning bright and early at 8 AM. Dad stayed home (he had to go something as frivolous as work the next day) and the rest of us waved good bye. It's important for me that we go to church every Sunday, even when we are traveling. But I didn't want to wait until after our meetings at 1. I felt adventurous so we wore our Sunday clothes and I planned on just finding some chapel off of I-15 and going to church in Fillmore or Cedar City. Wouldn't it be cool if we ran into the DeMilles or some other TJEDers? I thought. Maybe the Grofts, or the Simmermans. Well, since they are all in the same ward then that would be super fun.

By the time we got to Fillmore it was 10:20. I didn't want to wait until 11 for church (Latter-day Saints usually have church at 9 or 11 AM or 1 PM, yes we have figured out how to maximize meeting time and space, the only ones who do it better are the subset of Latter-day Saints who go to church at BYU in school buildings and classrooms). So we kept on driving. We got to Cove Fort at 11. I was excited to stop there and learn more about the LDS Church history there. We've been there before but haven't been able to take it all in.

TIP: If you are on I-15 in Utah driving south and have a nursing baby, a great place to stop and nurse is Cove Fort. You can always nurse your baby in the car, I do this all the time with the baby still buckled in his car seat. But if you want to nurse with the baby out (not while you are driving, of course, but after you park) it is so much nicer to pull over and get out and let the older kids stretch their legs and get a change of scenery. At Cove Fort you can all watch a movie and nurse in air-conditioned splendor. The tour guides were very friendly and I could tell the woman was a grandma. She seemed to have a "grandma heart."

We ended up going to church in Enoch at 1 PM. And we did see some TJEDers! We weren't lucky enough to hit the jackpot with the DeMilles, the Grofts, and the Simmermans all at once but we saw the Pattersons: Symbria Patterson and her family. Symbria used to work for GWC. I wanted to go talk to her but she doesn't know me from Eve. I let my shyness take over. Now I wish I had just gone over and talked to her. I found this great blog post about her on Teri Helms' tommymom blog. See

Then we drove around Enoch with me fantasizing about what it would be like to live in TJED land. I have been wanting to move for a long time and I can't decide between TJED Land (Enoch/Cedar City) or the Aneladee half of LEMI Land (Bountiful). I decided that Enoch is too windy and doesn't have enough trees. My husband sent me a text message. I was slightly disturbed that he was texting during church. At least it wasn't sacrament meeting, thank goodness. No we hadn't arrived yet. Since I was driving I could control the schedule and I wanted to linger a bit. We checked out New Harmony. I absolutely love New Harmony! It seems like the perfect little town to raise a "georgic" family. One church and one library and one gas station, what more could you need? If we moved there we would be only 20 minutes from GWC and shopping and 40 minutes the other way from our cousins in St. George. I found my dream house right next to the chapel in New Harmony. See photo above. Isn't it darling?

We finally arrived at 4:30. i was thrilled to see my sister-in-law Sally and her family. They had moved and their new place is so cool! So huge and totally family-friendly. Sally has these great plate glass windows in her kitchen with tons of greenery growing right there outside. I feel like I'm in a greenhouse. She even has a chinaberry tree right out that window. (This picture is not a chinaberry tree, it's something else growing in her yard.) I didn't know a chinaberry tree existed, I just thought it was the name of one of my favorite businesses ( I had even brought along a book to read that I found at the library thanks to the recommendation I got from the Chinaberry catalog.

Next blog post, Day Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment